Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Last of Indo...

We have now been in Indonesia for 3 weeks and it's hard to believe that we leave on Friday! We have seen so many beautiful places here and shared some wonderful cultural experiences. Since my last post, we saw a shark diving(!!!), met a great group of people from Germany and Sweden, stayed in a place totally off the map, and of course, saw about 10 more beautiful beaches. Life isn't so bad :)

While in Kuta, Lombok, we found the most perfect beach that I have ever seen without a soul on it. Then we went to a remote place called Taun and there, again, we found the most perfect beach. The coastline in this country is unbelievable. At this second beach, there was beautiful sand, huge waves and warm water. However, on the second day, all of the locals came out to play. We were constantly stared at and harassed by young boys. The 15 kids running around naked didn't bother me so much but the rest was just too much. It was that day that we decided that, yes, it is better to have a beach full of foreigners/tourists rather than a bunch of locals.

We are 5 weeks or so into the 4 month trip and we are of course still enjoying each other's company. It's certainly been a learning experience and takes the relationship to a whole new level. For example, this morning we were in a taxi heading to our next destination when Nate leans over to tell me something... "Al, I took the most satisfying dump this morning." Gross. Disgusting. Do I really need to know that?? What I have learned from the start is that not only am I Nate's girlfriend, but I also have to fulfill the role as his best male friend. Since he travelled with Peter before, I am constantly trying to live up to those expectations. So when Nate makes these comments, I simply nod and say "wow, that's great..." it's a good thing my dad and brother act just like this so I am pretty used to it.

It always seems that it's time to leave a country just as you are finally figuring things out. We have learned a lot during our time in Indonesia and it will make our next trip back here much easier! Originally we were hoping to cover much more territory than we were able to. Indonesia is huge and traveling throughout is not that easy for the budget traveler. This trip we covered Bali and Lombok. Next trip will be Sulawesi! Countries like this are ones you can come back to time and time again.

Next up: Thailand. I am beyond excited. I dream of thai curry every night... I plan to eat my heart out!

Much love and prayers to everyone back home recovering from the hurricane.
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment